Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Middle East: A wretched hive of unicorns and folk singers.

I have only been to the Middle East in Cambridge a handful of times.  I enjoy the cantab and pheonix landing, too.  However, recently I've been going a bit more.  I saw an artist named Tim Barry.  I am not really sure how to describe his music, so the best I can say is that he tells stories really well.  He was in Avail in the 90's, a punk rock band, but now he is solo, singing folk music with a gritty tough tinge.  I had never heard of him before, so if my description of him sucks, then sue me.  Either way, he was pretty dang fun. The crowd was really behind him and by the end everyone was belting out the tunes and rocking out.

Afterwards, I ran into him while waiting for the bathroom.  He told me to go into the men's room because there was a line outside the girl's bathroom.  He was super cute and said "Well go on in, there nobody in there" with a southeastern accent.  It was a hilarious serendipity and I kinda had to just laugh at the whole absurd situation.

Once the place cleared out, "Soulelujah" started.  It is a funk dance party held almost every Saturday night.  I could tell something was up when a troupe of young college kids in glitter and unicorn costumes streamed in the outside bar.  I had a wrist band, so I got in for free and frolicked happily for the next couple hours with sparkly unicorns.  To wind down, I headed next door to the corner bar and eventually I turned into a pumpkin and had to go to home.  It was a very interesting night out in Cambridge.

(Disclaimer:  I wrote this a while ago, and never hit 'publish' - oops!)

1 comment:

  1. I wish I read the disclaimer first. I was soooo confused and wondered why my recollection of last night's dinner at the Middle East with you was so vastly different from yours. Hahahaha, glad to know I'm not losing my mind! ��

    ReplyDelete