Monday, August 3, 2015

You Are Beautiful

I was enjoying a nice yoga routine on youtube, because my leg is really doing some funny things and I wanted to stretch to relieve the electric jolts.  More about that later, though.  The point is that a video popped up on the sidebar after I finished.  It was titled' "You are Disgusting".

I'm full of mixed emotion regarding this film.  I'm proud of the woman who made the film.  I'm ashamed of the people she quoted during the film.  I'd be lying, however, to say that I don't, at times in my life, fall into the trap that lures so many people feeling confused, insecure, or just downright mean into saying or thinking bad things about other people based on their appearance.  It is a societal characteristic, unfortunately, to assess face value without pause or thought to the actual reality that there is more than surface.  Why is this so common?

Surface can be altered so quickly with cheap and efficient methods.  The internal, however, needs tender care and nurturing to be able to undergo effective change.  Maybe for that very reason, we should seek to know the internal aspects of the people we experience in our lives.  It could be a longer investment, and yes, of course, it is harder and requires more effort to dive into the deep end of that pool.  However, what is the alternative?  Isn't time all that we have, after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment